Jason Collins announced that he was gay to Sports Illustrated yesterday. Jason Collins is a professional basketball player that has been in the NBA for twelve years. He is an exceptional athlete and extremely smart, graduating from Stanford. His revealing moment shocked people across the country yesterday but for him he seemed very calm and relieved. He told Good Morning America that he has been waiting for some other athletes to come forward first, because he did not what so much spotlight on him, but that after he finally came forward he felt like a huge weight had been lifted.
He says "I'm a 34 year old NBA center, I'm black, and I'm gay". He says he fought being gay in the beginning. He told reporters "it was like telling yourself the sky is red when you know its blue". He stated he just wants to live a honest life and is glad that he can be other people's role model as well. Collins said that it isn't about being gay when you play a sport, its about the sport. Its about working hard to be the best at your sport, whether you are gay or not gay.
Another reason he did not come forward was for the loyalty of his team. In his interview with GMA he said, "I didn't want to be THAT distraction. It has always been about the team [not myself]. I think that the country is ready to support an openly gay basketball player....I never set out to be the first." Collins seemed so accepting and very at ease during his interview. He also stated that he wanted to break the "gay stereotype" that is out there against athletes and show people that anyone can be what they set out to be, it does not matter what your sexual orientation may be.
No comments:
Post a Comment